I am a quilter and a fabric artist. I love to create with fabric! Much of my work is functional; I enjoy making traditional patterns with either traditional or modern colors. The ‘modern’ quilts are of interest to me presently. At the same time, I like to play with scraps until they become a useful quilt. Recently, I’ve been commissioned to make several memory quilts.
Creating decorative or ‘art’ style wall quilts is also of interest to me. I’m still fascinated with circles and curves of various forms; this has held my interest for a long time, as there is just so much to explore.
Over my quilting career, I have gone through many ‘fazes’! I still like so many styles of quilting. I like to show this journey during my trunk show.
I love teaching. It’s a wonderful way to meet fellow fabric enthusiasts as well as being stimulating for my own work. I learn as much as the students in any class that I teach! I also enjoy taking classes and have taken many over the years (from the famous and the not so famous!)
Briefly, I’ll fill you in on my background. I made my first quilt in grade 11. I’ve always worked with fabrics in some format. I joined the Prairie Hearts Quilt Guild in Moose Jaw in 1990 and have been involved ever since. I spent many years attending juried craft sales and selling quilted pieces.
Qualified with a B.Ed, majoring in Home Economics, I taught in Moose Jaw, SK in 4 different schools during my 30 year career. In 2002, Shelley Wicks and I opened The Quilt Patch in Moose Jaw. I retired from ‘store ownership’ in 2008. Since then, I have taught quilting and entered competitions. I have taught in SK,AB, MB, NS and Nfld. After 40 years in Moose Jaw, we moved to Winnipeg in 2011. I am currently the MB rep for CQA.
My one regret is that I haven’t kept records of shows or classes attended, quilts sold, or where those quilts have gone to.
1. Canadian Quilters Association
– first place winner in ‘clothing’ – 2009, 2010 – second place winner in ‘clothing’ – 2012, 2014
2. Gallery show in Moose Jaw. Gus Froese and I had a joint show called ‘Collaboration’ – Nov, 2011-Jan, 2012
3. Gallery show at the Mennonite University in Winnipeg. Collaboration – Jan, 2014
4. Cultural Capitols of Canada – 2007. I was chosen to be one of three artists to represent Moose Jaw in Ottawa on Canada Day.
5. The Quilt Patch, featured in The Quilt Sampler – 2006
6. Quilters Home Magazine, quilt featured – Mar/Apr, 2009